Since the tummy tuck is a major surgery, you can expect to have some major downtime after it is done. Here are some things you should plan for before your tummy tuck:
- Most women who undergo a tummy tuck after childbirth experience a great deal of pain for at least two weeks. During that time, prescribed medications are used to dull pain that is present in all positions.
- You will want to sit and rest for several days following the surgery.
- You will have swelling that may leave your body larger than when you originally went into the doctor’s office. The wound will also drain for at least ten days and the swelling will not go down for at least a month.
- There will be scarring. The extent of scarring is determined by the size of the incision, but the scars will disappear after several months.
- Your regular clothes might not fit. After surgery, wear clothing that is easy to put on and take off. Sweatpants are a good choice. For the top, try wearing shirts or sweaters that can be easily zipped or buttoned up the front. It will be uncomfortable for you to try to put a shirt or sweater over your head.
- Once you are done with your tummy tuck, the next step is to get back on your feet. After the procedure, you will be expected to be under medical supervision for about two days.
- Your body will need at least seven days to begin to restore itself after the surgery. You will visit the doctor at the end of this period to ensure that the healing process is normal. Similar check-ups will take place after a month, then three months, half a year and then a year after the procedure. This is how long the recovery after tummy tuck can take.
- Stitches are usually removed in five to seven days. Deeper stitches are taken out two to three weeks after surgery.
- The most common question that is asked about tummy tuck recovery is then can you get back to your normal life. This depends on the healing process and the individual. In most cases, people who have tummy tuck surgery are able to get back to work within a week of the procedure. But you must make sure that your abdominal area is under no pressure and you do not experience any tightness.
- You will have to completely avoid exercising. However, walking is good because this encourages blood flow throughout your body and this is essential to your healing process.
- Continue wearing your support garment for at least a month after your surgery.
For more information and to schedule your tummy tuck, visit Dr. Wali’s website www.plasticsurgerysocal.com.